Monday, July 25, 2011

Blueberry Betty



It started with the purchase of a blueberry bush last week, then a great Safeway sale this week- 2 lbs of blueberries for $5, and then an online search for a new blueberry recipe to try out.

I came across many torte's, pies and jams but the recipe title 'Blueberry Betty' caught my attention, mainly because Betty was my Grandmother's name on my Father's side. Now granted as I sit here and think about it, I never thought of her when I saw 'Betty Crocker' or 'Brown Betty' recipes so I don't know why it stood out but it did so I had to make it.

If she were still here I would have loved to ask her if she ever had people call her Betty Crocker or if she tried any Brown Betty recipes since they indeed titled her name, but alas, she met the Lord a few years ago, but I'm sure she would have loved to try out this recipe!


*I didn't have leftover french toast so I opted to alter the recipe and it still turned out great! I dipped the bread in french toast batter (mine includes: eggs, milk, vanilla, sugar & cinnamon), layed bread on top of cooked blueberries, poured remaining batter over layers, and still sprinkled with powdered sugar and nutmeg.


Blueberry Betty


This uses leftover French toast. Make your French toast with challah for a special dish.

• 3 cups blueberries
• ¾ cup sugar
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon lemon juice
• French toast
• Powdered sugar
• Grated nutmeg (freshly grated is best!)


Method

Cook blueberries, sugar, salt and lemon juice for 10 minutes.



Pour into shallow baking dish and arrange slices of French toast on top. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and nutmeg.



Bake in preheated 425°F oven for about 20 minutes. Serve with cream if desired.

Serves 6.



I'm sure next time I'll defiantly use the recommended challah bread- that stuff makes anything taste good! But this go-round was pretty darn good, Big Grandma would defiantly approve!


No comments:

Post a Comment