Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Turning 5 is Grrreat!

“If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn.”



Speaking of dandelions, I made a dandy of a lion for Gavin's birthday today that I'd love to share!  After it was set that he was having a jungle theme this year I started looking for ideas everywhere, and the Wilton circus cat cake looked super easy, just what I needed for his pre-school cake seeing as I needed to bake and decorate it on Valentine's day, the easier the better!  Though I opted not to purchase a whole box of ice cream cones just to use one for his party hat, maybe if he had a summer birthday, but I don't foresee us using the rest of the cones before they go bad.


Using my Mother-in-Laws petal pan, from 1980 something, and a half of the sports ball pan I have for the face, I dirty iced the bottom with homemade super rich chocolate butter cream and yellow icing for the face.

I then iced 2 oreo cookies for ears and it's started to look like a Lion in no time!


Then the fun part with tip #21 and making the mane, you can't make mistakes with this, the more layers the better!

I rolled out a tootsie roll for the nose and decorated the rest with butter cream




Happy Birthday Gavin!  And even though he's 5 he knows he'll always be my little guy!

Now tomorrow I start to make his cake for the party on Sunday.  So glad next week Lent starts, I'm gonna need to fast to make up for yesterday and this weekend alone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment