Thursday, June 10, 2010

Fun with sand, and shapes!

God loved the flowers and invented soil. Man loved the flowers and invented vases. ~Variation of a saying by Jacques Deval (God loved the birds and invented trees. Man loved the birds and invented cages.)




The hardest thing I've had to contend with since leaving my teaching position is having my boys at a great age for projects and not having ANY scheduled lunch breaks or planning time to actually sit down and come up with age appropriate ideas!


As I write on here and the kiddos nap there is a pile of dishes in the sink, laundry to wash and more clean clothes on the couch I dumped there this morning to be folded and put away. And I know well and good if I don't do them during nap time that they won't get done until after bedtime routines, or even not until the next day! I don't have the heart to plop them down in the playroom or in front of the TV just so I can clean when the weather's so nice outside or that we could be doing fun stuff together! I've always had the mindset, if I go tomorrow I'd like my kids to remember doing fun things together, not Mommy always being too busy with mundane things! Especially with Daddy working all the time, they're lucky to see him a couple hours a week! They need someone in their daily routine that can play, discipline, teach and love- just so happens that's been me for the past 3 yrs! Yet I digress with the venting of 'me being the only one they see the better part of a month'! Not complaining, just stating what life's been like on my own and truly enjoying every moment with my two little sidekicks!


So my inspiration for this month is shapes. They've gotten pretty good with identifying circles and triangles, even my now 2 yr old! (Carter's soaking up so many things here lately, I'll have to try to video record him singing the Good Morning song, it's too cute!) So I'll focus on just circles to instill that concept and then move on to other shapes in a week or so.


Last week they got to play with glow bracelets at night and tried to make shapes with them, the circle was the easiest to make for everyone! We found circles everywhere, but they especially liked finding the shape on the top of marshmallows, they were yummy!


Today's project will be painting with sand, super fun! Can't wait to adapt this concept to other shapes when they get older, I'm sure they'll be some real intricate butterflies!











Painting with watered down glue

















Sprinkling on the colored sand, thanks to our sandbox and some food coloring!












No comments:

Post a Comment