Sunday, January 22, 2012

No Sew Blankets

Feels like it's been forever since I've made the boys anything, craft-wise I mean, since making beds, making meals and making it to school on time doesn't really count!

I've wanted to make pillowcases for them but found a great Pottery Barn sheet set I had to have; which btw, I think their catalog pages are sprayed with special scents to make you want at least something each season!  So seeing pillowcases were out of the picture, back in November a neighbor showed me a no-sew blanket she made one of her boys and I knew that would ease my mind and fingers of making something and it seemed easy enough to pull for a Christmas gift with no sewing involved... wellll, it may have been easier/faster sewing the fabric, but I don't think it would have been as cuddly.

I did let them go to the fabric store and choose their own fabrics, something I might not do until another year or so, meltdowns over wanting several patterns ended up in purchasing expensive dinosaur fabric I hope I can use before it's un-cool anymore.

I got 2yrds of two different patterned felt for each blanket so they would fit a twin size bed when the time came, though it looks like my soon-to-be Kindergartner may need a big boy bed sooner than I thought, he's got his Mommy's height for sure! 

For the process all I did was line up 2 pieces of material, cut off the excess fabric seam if they have any, cut a 4"x4" square from each corner, cut 4" strips along each edge, and finally double knot the two strips together, easy peasy!  You just need the floor space to lay all the material out and back strength to lean over about an hour for the cutting and tying process :)


Very snugly if I do say so myself!


No comments:

Post a Comment